In 1810, the first major change in the Gardens came with the decision to route the canal through the middle of the park - effectively cutting the gardens in half. The canal was designed by John Rennie.
There are two canal tunnels:
Cleveland Tunnel and Sydney Gardens Tunnel. Both tunnels are Grade II listed.
Cleveland Tunnel carries the canal beneath Sydney Road and Cleveland House, the former canal company headquarters. Cleveland House was built in the late 1810s almost 20 years after the canal and tunnel were constructed.
- Who we are
- Why Sydney?
- Two Major Renovation Projects
- Accessibility Guide and Sensory Walks
- GIFTS made from the Peace Oak in Sydney Gardens
- Georgian Garden
Activities in Sydney Gardens
- The Amazing Trees of Sydney Gardens and the Tree Trail
- Our Netflix 'Hope is Everything' Bench
- Roasted Lemon Café
- Contact us
- Sahaja Yoga